Douglas Bullard's Nurflugel Doodle
Install using Java WebStart
- Install once
- Updates automatically to get the current version
- Very small downloads for updating (typically <100Kb)
- Updates WebStart automatically
- Updates the Java version automatically
- Less initial download time - 14Mb of data vs. 16Mb
- Installation using Webstart:
- Download Java Web Start first! (Windows users only - Macs have this already installed in OSX)
- accept all dialogs, ignore the warning that you may have to reboot your system - you don't.
- Launch the Doodle application
- Accept all dialogs.
- If it asks to load a newer version of Java or WebStart, say "yes".
- Ignore the warnings about installing software on your system. I'm using the free version of
Sun's WebStart architecture, and the cost of that is annoying dialogs like this for the users.
- Launch it twice from this web page and it'll install icons on to your desktop. You won't have to visit this site again to run the appliation after that.
- You'll always have the most up-to-date version
- You'll never have to reinstall or upgrade!
- You don't need to be connected to the Internet to use the application, but if you are connected, it will update itself if necessary (typically only 100K or so - a few seconds even at modem speed).